Morning Star Community Church Profile
Morning Star is a non-denominational, multi-generational church in Salem, Oregon. From our beginning as a home Bible study of eight in 1982, Morning Star now has two Sunday morning in-person and online services with an average weekend attendance of around 800. In the beginning we gathered to worship Jesus, study the Word, and share the gospel with our community. That foundational focus on vibrant worship, solid biblical teaching, and intentional reaching out to others has not changed. The majority of our adults are in small groups that meet throughout Salem and the surrounding communities during the week to pursue a Jesus-first life together. We have active ministries for men, women, students, children, and the largest Celebrate Recovery in the city. Outreach encompasses strong support to the local foster care community, committed involvement with missionaries around the globe, and a soon-to-be-launched biblical counseling ministry.
When it comes to middle schoolers, we’re convinced they’re the future of the church and can change the world. We’re committed to building relationships and creating space where they can discover who Jesus is and what it means to follow Him. Currently we have about 60 students attending weekly.
Morning Star has a long history of a strong Student Ministries. Our Senior Pastor began ministry as a youth pastor and our Executive Pastor interned in our Student Ministries. Many of our leaders and volunteers made commitments to Christ in their middle and high school years at Morning Star. They know the vital importance of healthy, vibrant, personal ministry to students. Along with loving and discipling students, our Student Ministries come alongside their parents, providing support and encouragement in the often daunting, eternally rewarding business of raising their kids.
The past few Covid years have had their challenges, right? By God’s grace, we are poised for growth with incredible opportunities for life-giving growth and outreach. We’re looking for someone to join our leadership team in the middle school pastor capacity, someone who possesses Christlike character, a shepherd’s heart, sound biblical training, good communication skills, a humble and teachable spirit; someone who’s a great team builder, God-focused and forward-leaning, and passionate about middle schoolers! If this might be you and you’d like to learn more, a detailed job description is below. If you are interested in the position or have questions, please email John Jaskilka, Executive Pastor, at email@example.com. To officially apply, please send your cover letter and resume to John.
Morning Star Community Church Profile
JOB DESCRIPTION: Middle School Pastor
MINISTRY AREA: Student Ministries
JOB CLASSIFICATION, STATUS, AND CATEGORY: Full-Time
DATE: June 15, 2022
PURPOSE / POSITION OVERVIEW
The Middle School Pastor leads the Mid-School Ministry of Morning Star Community Church. The Pastor is to implement and accomplish the church’s mission and vision to lead students to pursue a Jesus-first life, and provide parental focus within the family context of the church.
QUALIFICATIONS AND CHARACTER/SPIRITUAL REQUIREMENTS
- Affirmed and approved by Morning Star Community Church as a recognized leader of the church.
- Willingly submit to church leadership (Senior Pastor, Executive Pastor, and the Elders).
- Able and willing to shepherd (lead, feed, and protect) the flock (Acts 20:28-31; I Peter 5:1-4).
- Meet character/spiritual qualifications of a Spirit-empowered and gospel-centered church leader.
- Above reproach (I Timothy 3:2; Titus 1:7).
- Demonstrates godly character (1 Timothy 3:2-3, 8; Titus 1:6-8).
- Knows how to lead and how to follow (Titus 1:6).
- Healthy family life (I Timothy 3:4; Titus 1:6).
- Able to communicate the Word of God to others and give instruction in sound doctrine (Titus 1:9; Hebrews 13:7).
- Good reputation with outsiders/non-believers (I Timothy 3:7).
- Full of the Spirit and wisdom (Acts 6:3).
- Assist in implementing and accomplishing Morning Star’s mission and vision.
- Lead the Mid-School Team in developing and implementing effective, strategic ministries within the overarching goals of Morning Star.
- Lead Mid-School Team in their ministry, vision, programs, and special events.
- Be the primary teacher for Mid-School worship gatherings (midweek and Sunday).
- Lead Mid-School in recruiting, training, and developing volunteers in that ministry.
- Lead the Mid-School Team by going to middle school campuses multiple times a week to connect with students and provide support to school faculty.
- Lead the Mid-School Volunteer Team to engage with students in extracurricular activities, such as sporting events and choir recitals.
- Provide encouragement, inspiration, and communication to parents to help guide them in being the primary faith trainers of their students.
- Connect with Corban University to provide their students with service opportunities and internships.
- Lead the implementation of policies, procedures, and best practices developed by the Student Ministries Team for the safety of all students, volunteers, and parents.
- Lead the integration of strategic initiatives within the Mid-School Team.
- Meet regularly with the Executive Pastor for training, coaching, development, and accountability.
- Participate as a member of the Leadership Team.
ADDITIONAL MINISTRY RESPONSIBILITIES AND/OR SPECIAL ASSIGNMENTS
- Fulfill any and all other responsibilities as needed or assigned by the Senior and Executive Pastors.
- Provide leadership in helping the church implement more service and outreach opportunities in the community.
SPECIAL KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, GIFTING REQUIRED
The Mid-School Pastor has the ability and commitment to:
- Lead, manage, and serve a diverse array of people.
- Earn and maintain trust.
- Be a growing expert in adolescent development and culture.
- Develop staff in their personal and ministry growth.
- Actively engage others in a vision.
- Train volunteers.
- Build and lead teams.
- Exercise healthy conflict resolution skills.
- Understand and clearly deliver verbal and written instruction.
- Use a computer for communication, data storage, and research.
- Work effectively and efficiently with others in a team environment.
- Simultaneously prioritize workload, meet deadlines, manage projects, and delegate responsibilities.
- Be flexible and servant-oriented.
- Be relational and missional.
- Consistently demonstrate a heart and commitment to grow in Jesus and to mature in emotionally healthy spirituality.
EDUCATION/EXPERIENCE PREFERRED AND/OR REQUIRED
Bachelor’s degree in the field of ministry is preferred. Previous ministry experience may suffice.
TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT
- Agree to abide by all policies and procedures as outlined in the Morning Star Personnel and Policy Manual.
- This is a full-time position. A typical work week is Sunday-Thursday. Office Hours are flexible.
- Required leadership and staff meetings typically on Wednesday mornings.
WAGES AND HOURS
This is a full-time position. $40,000 – $60,000 annual salary based on experience and education. Benefits provided.
The Mid-School Pastor is guided in this ministry by the Executive Pastor.
NOTE: This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive. Employee may perform other related duties as assigned or negotiated to meet the ongoing needs of the organization. From time to time, this job description may be modified, changed, added to, or revised.
jobs, job openings, job description, openings, hire, hiring